Saturday 28 November 2009

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins is without a doubt the most famous scientist on the planet promoting atheism today. He wrote The God Delusion that sold millions of copies. I have not read it, but I have listened to his interview on the BBC and his talk on TED.

As a Deist (ie. I believe in a Mind behind the universe), you would expect that the bullets in his arsenal of arguments would have my name all over them. But upon closer inspection, you'll realise that most of them are actually aimed at Christianity. And since I'm not a Christian and you CAN'T prove there is no God by debunking Christianity, my beliefs remain largely unscathed. RD is no threat to me.

But he is most definitely a threat to idjits like GW Bush Jr and S Palin, who see the world in black and white, defined by an ongoing war between good and evil, God and Satan, Christ against the anti-Christ and Christians and Jews versus everybody else. Dawkins wants to bring some sanity back into the USA. For that, I applaud him.

That's him in the photo. It's from a campaign back in Jan 2009 to promote atheism in Britain. Now a scientific theory is an explanation that best fits the data and stands until a better theory comes along. So science is all about probabilities. Which means you can't make an absolute statement like "There is no God" when you can't even begin to prove it! The word "probably" was added because organisers of the campaign "did not want to be dogmatic in the way that so many religious leaders are" (timesonline.co.uk).

Even though my position and theirs are diametrically opposite, I respect these atheists for that generous gesture! :)

Email

999rich@gmail.com