Sunday 14 December 2008

Why I am NOT a Christian




Do you think kids who are 6 and 8 years old should be made to say grace everyday, dragged to sunday school and camp, and forced to memorise verses from the bible? Well, it's happening to my sons, despite my strong objections. There are even plans to turn my house into a venue for prayer meetings and bible study. My son has just received his first bible. I have been hammering the disciples of scientism. It's about time I say something about christianity.

BBC Focus magazine asked Arthur C Clarke (in Dec 2007 just before his death): What is the greatest threat that we, as a race, are facing?

He replied: Organised religion polluting our minds as it pretends to delivery morality and spiritual salvation. It's spreading the most malevolent mind virus of all.

According to the bible, Jesus came to save the world. May I ask how many people has he successfully saved so far? And why should the people that he failed to save, burn in hell for eternity? Why should people like my father burn in hell for eternity? What has he ever done to hurt anyone? If my dad is writhing in agony now just because he didn't become a christian, then I'd much rather join him than all the hypocritical christians who are busy having parties while millions are marching daily into hell.

Jesus said that if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can move mountains. How many mountains have the Christians moved? Name me one. Jesus said you can walk on water. Show me a few Christains who have walked on water. Need I go on? All I see in church on Sundays are christians who are striving to believe more, trust more, serve more, pray more, give more, sacrifice more, yield more, etc etc. They are basically weekly faith reinforcement sessions. Why is this necessary if God is real for the christian?

Why is the God of christianity so small and weak? I am a Deist and my God is infinitely bigger! So much so that I'm probably presumptuous to call him (or her) Creator. Instead of creating objects like we do he probably willed everything into existence. He is so big that I cannot speak for him. So big that I cannot put him in a box, like some people are so fond of doing.

And why is the christian god so hung up over the Jews that he made them his chosen people? So obsessed that he COMMANDED them to conduct merciless genocide and ethnic cleansing on the Palestinian people in order for the Israelites to reclaim the "Promised Land"? Why is god so utterly heartless that he cannot feel the suffering of the Palestinians? Why is he so petty that he has to focus all his attention on a tiny piece of land in the Middle East when there is infinite space in the awesome universe?

Sorry to say this, but the Gospel to me is like mouldy bread that the Western world has already rejected and is now gobbled up hungrily by the rest of the world, who seems to think it's a panacea for all their problems.

[The image above is from theleftcoaster.com]

Email

999rich@gmail.com